Monday, September 22, 2008

Night Weaning

Yes, Joaquin still nurses at night. I know, I know, and yes...it is starting to drive me insane.

We worked on night weaning this summer, and by the end, I pretty much had him off the boob from bedtime to about 5 am. Everyday, I would remind him that when we all went "sleepies", milk went "sleepies" too. I would also try and top him off with yogurt before bed to make sure he didn't wake up in the middle of the night hungry. Some nights he would wake up and beg for milk "peeeease!". Other nights he would wake up and roll around, wouldn't even bother to ask and then fall back asleep. He still woke up in his bed around midnight, but when I brought him into ours he would just roll over and fall back asleep, it was awesome! Then at 5 am, like clockwork, he would wake up to nurse. I was OK with it because I knew once I went back to work, I would want to nurse before I got up.

So, I went back to work and all was well, for a few days at least.

He then got a fever for a couple of days. His canines were coming in and while he didn't seem in too much pain, I was concerned about the fever and wanted to make sure he nursed as much as needed. This was nearly four weeks ago.

Now we are back to nursing multiple times a night and it. has. to. stop. We made some headway a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit, it was much easier to get back on track, but we have since fallen off the wagon.

Last night he threw a fit and a half when I had finally told him no more. He did finally fall asleep, albeit while crying in my arms.

So tonight, we're back on it. This afternoon we'll be talking about how "milk goes sleepies". I'm gorging him with yogurt before bedtime and I'm pulling out my turtle neck.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You need not apologize for still nursing at night. Night weaning is a hard thing to do. I don't know when or how I'm going to get D to sleep more, but I've definitely been thinking about it. With O my milk supply decreased because I was preg. I'm sorry that your not getting the sleep you need. Hat's off to you, I don't know how you do it. I would go insane if I was working. Good luck!