Sunday, June 7, 2009

A busy Saturday

Since I'll be home with Joaquin and the baby for a while, as of June 16th Joaquin will no longer be in pre-school. I figure I should do some home preschool type of activities with him to keep up the enrichment he was getting at school. I'm not going to drive myself crazy with it, but want to do something here and there. He has a few obsessions lately, and one of them is firetrucks, so a firetruck theme for the next few weeks it is! I made a list of a bunch of firetruck themed picture books and off to the library we went on Saturday morning to get them all.

I am really embarrassed to admit actually, that we have yet to take him to the library. I haven't even stepped foot in a public library in about 7 years. I know, right? I would have put all the books I wanted on hold to make it all easier, but since I didn't have a library card yet, I had to do it myself this first time. It was kind of hard with Joaquin all over the place checking out all the books while I was trying to search for different authors while hunched over or crawling on my hand and knees...but we managed. I also found a few books on becoming a big brother and we ended up with almost 20 books on our first trip. In the car as we were leaving Joaquin told me he felt happy, when I asked him why, if it was because he had so many new books, he gave me a big nod with a huge smile. Adorable. I found a bunch of activities all themed around firetrucks online and will start doing those with Joaquin once I'm off. I'm looking forward to this next adventure with Joaquin and will be sure to document and blog as much as I can!

After the library I had to make a quick trip to the mall to get a bridal shower gift. I have it down now. I pull up the registry at home, circle my options, walk in the store and ask them to point me in the right direction. It took us a whole five minutes, in and out! With a kid like Joaquin, I just don't feel like dilly dallying in Crate & Barrel! Then we stopped off at Old Navy just because their kids clothes are always so cute. As we were checking out Joauqin saw a giant toy dispenser thing with big high bounce balls. He asked me so sweetly "Mommy, can I have a ball please?" They were only a quarter so I said of course and let him put the quarter in and turn the knob. He was in love. In love with a pink and blue high bounce ball. We got in the car and headed home for nap, about half way there while still cuddling with his ball, out of the blue he said "Thank you for my ball, Mommy." My heart melted, "Of course babe, you're very welcome."

During his nap I snuck off to my bridal shower for a couple of hours and returned to Joaquin and Dan getting ready to head to the zoo. I was already pretty tired, but figured why not. We spent a couple of hourse wandering the new Elephant exhibit and shared a big soft serve ice cream. As we were leaving I had the totally random idea of going to the drive-in to see a movie. So we got home and packed up our stuff and headed back out.

We got there a bit early, but Joaquin had fun pretending to drive the car. We battled the big battle to get his PJs on and I totally expected him to pass out by 9 at the latest. Nope, he was into the dinosaurs as we watched Land of the Lost and didn't fall asleep until the ride home.

1st drive in movie

1st drive in movie

1st drive in movie


I was beat, but days like Staturday are too awesome to complain about. Looking forward to the next!C

2 comments:

Eliska Bobeeska said...

That sounds like the perfect day! You sound like you have a lot of energy for being so prego! Good for you!! I can't believe how big Juaquine looks in these pictures! I bet he is going to be the best big brother and little helper ever. It sounds like he's so happy just to have you around him! Fire Engine activites or not, you guys are going to have a lot of fun. Wish we were down there to visit! xox

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great day! I'm so glad you had so much fun!